Articles of Association of Avicenna
Cultural and Scientific Foundation
Ratified on the 554th session of the Supreme Council of Cultural Revolution
of the Cultural Revolution ratified the articles of association of Avicenna
Cultural and Scientific Foundation as follows.
Avicenna’s Foundation, named henceforth in these articles of association as
Foundation is founded as a non-profit non-governmental institution and whose
aim is knowing the scientific and philosophic genius of the East Abu Ali Sina
(Avicenna), introducing his character and works, honoring his universal
position, encouraging national and international researchers to produce
distinguished works as well as enhancing cultural and scientific activities.
The foundation is a legal entity and is financially independent and is
administered based on these articles of association.
The Foundation is an Iranian institution located in the Iranian city of Hamedan
and it can have branches in different parts of the world if approved by the
board of trustees who can also dissolve the Foundation or terminate its
The Foundation's term of activities is indefinite.
Section 2: Objectives and Functions
1. Knowing and glorifying Avicenna cultural and scientific
2. Introducing Avicenna’s works, treatises, and books.
3. Introducing Iranian and Islamic thinkers and scholars.
Article 6: Function
1. Encouraging the cooperation of state and private centers,
home and international legal and natural entities, receiving cash and non-cash
offerings including books, documents, properties etc, and using them for
promoting the Foundation's scientific, cultural and research objectives.
2. Buying and publishing sources, encyclopedias, atlas,
films, and CDs on Avicenna.
3. Sponsoring projects on studies on Avicenna (Aviccenalogy)
including books, articles, theses, granting scholarships as well as awarding
the top and advanced scientific and cultural researches on subjects related to
4. Founding an Aviccenalogy center through collecting
national and international works and collections on Avicenna and preparing the
ground for their public use.
5. Founding Bu Ali's advanced specialized library and through
collecting handwritten and typographical manuscripts and works of art.
6. Cooperation with other national and foreign Aviccenalogy
centers in cultural, scientific, and research projects.
7. Founding an Aviccenalogy computer data base.
8. Conferences, exhibitions, seminars, scientific tours,
training courses, and other promotional programs on Avicenna.
9. Supervising Avicenna’s monument and mausoleum.
10. Providing proper infrastructure for offering scientific,
cultural, and artistic services within the framework of the Foundation.
Article 7: if approved by the board of trustees and within a legal framework,
the Foundation can establish institutes of higher education, companies offering
specialized, advanced, educational, and counseling services on different
scientific and cultural fields related to the Foundation's activities. The
Foundation can also form research, cultural, and scientific groups within the
domains of the Foundation's activities.
Section 3: Foundation's Constituents
Article 8: the Foundation’s constitutes of the following:
1. Board of Trustees.
2. President of the Foundation.
Article 9: the Foundation's Board of trustees includes the following:
1. Minister of Culture and Islamic Teachings (Head of the
board of Trustees),
2. Head of the Sciences Academy,
3. Had of the academy for Medical sciences,
4. Head of the Islamic Culture and Communication organization,
5. Head of the Iranology Institute,
6. Head of the association of Cultural Works and Glories,
7. Governor of Hamedan Province,
8. Iran's representative in the UNESCO,
9. Head of the tourism and cultural heritage organization,
10. President of the foundation (secretary of the Board of
11. Three experts selected and introduced by Hamedan's
governor and approved by the head of the board of trustees. These three experts
are assigned to the job for one term of three years and can be selected for a
Article 10: Functions and duties of the Board of Trustees
1. Formulating the strategies of the Foundation and drawing
up its domain.
2. Approving Regulations pertaining to financial, trade,
administrative matters and employment.
3. Approving the Foundation's long-term, short term and
medium term programs as well as its annual budget.
4. Supervising the Foundation's activities announced by the
board of directors.
5. Approving the Foundation's administrative body according
to its respective rules and regulations.
Article 11: Board of trustees' meetings are held annually. In case of any
unexpected or emergency case the meeting is called by the head of the board of
trustees or the secretary of the board of directors
Note 1: the meetings will be in session with the presence of at least 7 members
and the decisions made will be valid with the votes of majority.
Note 2: the decisions made by the board of trustees are officially announced by
Article 12: the resident of the Foundation as the highest ranking executive
post is elected by the suggestion made by the board of trustees and the order
of the Board of trustees' secretary for a four-year term and can be elected for
Note 1: the President of the Foundation can be dismissed at the suggestion of
the secretary of the Board of trustees and approval of the Board of trustees.
Article 13: functions and authorities of the president of the Foundation
1. Execution of all approved laws and responsibilities
entrusted on him by the board of trustees.
2. Running the Foundation's current affairs.
3. Preparing and Presenting annual financial reports.
4. Preparing and presenting the Foundation’s functional and
responsibility charts and graphs to the board of trustees.
5. Estimating the Foundation's annual budges and presenting
it to the board of trustees for approval.
6. Outlining the Foundation's short, medium and long term
program and presenting it to the board of trustees for approval.
7. Setting up administrative and organizational units within
the framework of the existing approved order as well as dismissing and
employing the Foundation's managers and employees.
8. Planning for attracting cooperation of popular as well as
national and foreign civil foundations.
9. Purchasing and selling, constructing, renting and using
the Foundation's properties and any other similar dealings which according to
the financial and trade codes are within the responsibilities of the Foundation.
10. Signing all letters to national and foreign legal and
natural entities and governmental organizations.
11. Opening accounts in the name of the Foundation at banks
and financial institutes.
12. Making suggestions for applying for loans and using other
facilities offered by banks and financial institutes and implementing the
suggestions according to the approved codes.
13. Having the right to Sue and protect the rights of the
Foundation, perusing or dropping a lawsuit in both penal and legal cases and
Note 1: financial and binding contracts and documents will be valid
after being signed by the president of the Foundation, and finance manager and
carrying the seal of the Foundation.
Article 14: the Inspector is appointed at the selection of the board of
trustees and is notified by the secretary of the board of trustees.
Article 15: the duties of the legal inspector include:
1. Preparing financial reports and presenting it to the Board
2. Preparing an operation and irregularity reports and
presenting them to the board of trustees.
Note 1: the Inspector's duties should not interfere with the Foundation’s
Article 16: the Foundation's financial sources include
1. Financial sources in the form of aid allotted to the
Foundation in the government’s budget.
2. Financials aids given to the foundation by legal and
natural entities as well as government and non-governmental organizations.
3. Financial aid offered in Iranian and foreign currency to
the Foundation and approved by the Board of trustees.
4. The Income earned through the activities and services
offered by the Foundation.
Section 5: Other Regulations
Article 17: In circumstances where the Foundation is not able to carry out its
responsibilities and functions, its activities will come to a halt for a
certain period or for ever with the approval of two third of the Board of
trustees' members. In this circumstance, the board of trustees appoints three
of its members or from outside the Foundation to see to the Foundation's
monetary matters and after receiving the money owed to the Foundation and
paying the debts and determining the foundation's movable and immovable
properties, gives the remaining to the Ministry of Culture and Islamic
Teachings or any other body approved by the board of trustees.
Article 18: any modification in these articles of association can be made at
the suggestion of the board of trustees and approval of the General Council of
culture. This articles of association was ratified in the 554th session of the
Supreme Council of Cultural Revolution dated 2005/26/1.